Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The story of ONE cookie!

Today I went to Panera and got a salad. Also, I don't use a lot of dressing, so I was feeling good about my lunch choice. The guy behind the counter ended up giving Erin and me a free shortbread cookie. Fun, right? I've really been cutting down on sweets because I can live without them, and it's just healthy. I decided that I was going to go to the gym despite how much I didn't want to today, and as an early reward I could eat the cookie.
 So Chris, being the good work neighbor that he is, looked up the Nutritional Facts for the cookie. A Panera Shortbread cookie has 300 CALORIES!! O    MY    GOSH! I almost just threw away the cookie then, I should have. But I ate most of it, then when I couldn't bear the thought of how long it would take to burn 300 calories, I threw it away.
 I have really become aware of calorie intake. When you see how much work it takes to burn off what you are eating, you REALLY second guess what you put in your body.
 I didn't make it to the gym so I decided to try to work out some on my own tonight. I bought a Jumprope and did a few different exercises. In 30 minutes I jumped rope, did crunches, leg raises, supermans, and some more things. (Not a whole lot of reps, except I did 400 jumps). I only burned away about half of the freaking cookie.
 I don't think I have yet given advice in these blogs, but I will tonight. Like a lot of women say "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips." That's pretty true. It only takes a few seconds to make the decision to eat crap. But it took me about an hour to burn of that shortbread cookie. It wasn't worth it! I'll leave you with this thought.
 Think about what your eating. Do you really want to add those calories to your body, or do the extra work to burn them off? Wouldn't you rather have less calories to burn, and start seeing results sooner? I would.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks alot. This made me feel great as I start my morning with the breakfast of champions: Diet Coke and a pack of Peanut butter crackers. Oh well. I still have 7 months to lose 10-15 pounds (New years res.) ;) If I start in June that is like 2 pounds a month... Reasonable in my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can do it together! I admit, it is depressing thinking about what you CAN'T eat. I think I'll blog on that sometime. But I'm now just trying to focus on exercising and eating better. Counting Calories can make you feel really guilty. So we will see how that all pans out.

    ReplyDelete