Monday, June 8, 2009

Mental Block

I feel very accomplished today. I ran all 4 of my "4B Laps". Which I think is .37 a lap. Which Is almost 1.5 miles. WHICH IS (almost) half of a 5k. I usually stop to walk some, but I was really determined to make it.
 I am pretty sure my problems with running are all in my head (and kind of in my lungs). I tell myself that it's ok to stop and walk. Today I told myself that I could do one lap (and Angela too. That's right!!! NO WALKING). Then on the 2nd lap I decided to see if I could make another lap. THEN on the 3rd lap I even told Angela that I had a feeling that I would stop to walk but I would see how far I could go - again, I MADE IT. Then I made the decision to go for the 4th lap right before 6:30 (the time I leave the gym). I made the choice then that I was going to make the last lap, even if I needed to puke or pass out afterwards. I did neither, but I did finish.
 This is really encouraging for my goal of running a 5K. I also feel a lot better about trying to reach a time goal (with Maddie). I just hope that I can continue to push the mental barrier until I can break it all together!
And most importantly today, I felt good when I left the gym. I did NOT feel exhausted, or like I would die soon. I felt accomplished and just GOOD! :)

3 comments:

  1. YA!!! I am SO proud of you!

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I'm so proud of you, you're really making progress :)

    And....I'm thinking about doing the Candelight 5K if it's not too late to sign up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all mental... you don't really start running until you get just past the pain, then its on!

    ReplyDelete